Factory resetting a laptop is a good option when you are either planning to sell it or your device has started to work inappropriately. There come several situations in our lives when we have to factory reset an HP laptop. Sometimes, your laptop starts to hang or stops responding to your commands or you have decided to give it someone else.
But before you perform the process to factory reset HP laptop, you should keep certain things in mind. Doing this will remove all the data from your computer such as personal files, customized settings, software apps, images, etc. In other words, your device will become a new one not physically but internally. You will also not be able to access user accounts, desktop themes, applications, etc.
Hence, you should create a backup of the files so that you can recover it again. You can easily do it by syncing your data with the Google account so that you can get hold of it again.
Factory reset HP laptop from startup without cd in Windows 8
- From the Start screen, navigate to the “Search box”.
- From here, select “Remove everything and reinstall Windows”.
This will open the “Update and recovery” window.
- This will open the “Get Started” window.
- Click “Next” when the “Reset your PC” screen displays.
- Here, you may select “Just remove my files” or “Fully clean the drive” according to your wish.
- Further, click “Next”.
- Finally, click“Reset” when the “Ready to reset”screen opens.
- Wait while the reset process completes after which you may your computer.
Reset HP laptop to factory settings without password in Windows 10
If you are using HP Stream 14, then you may factory reset HP laptop by following the steps given in the next section.
- The first thing you have to do is start your computer.
- After this press the “F11 key”repetitively.
- This will open the “Choose an option” screen.
- On this screen, click “Troubleshoot” followed by “Reset your PC”.
- When a new screen opens, click on the “Next” button.
- Read and respond to the prompts that open up.
- Wait for a couple of minutes until Windows resets your computer.
- This might take longer than usual and then your computer restarts.
- If it does not restart automatically, then do it yourself.
Hard reset an HP laptop without disc
Sometimes, you need to hard reset a device when you are unable to access any of its functions including HP Support Assistant. So follow the steps given below to perform a hard reset on your HP device.
- First of all, press and hold the “Start” button for ten seconds.
- You might need to press one more key so that the device discharges completely.
- After this, you have to reconnect the external power supply.
- Consecutively, press the power or “Start” button to boot your HP laptop.
- Now, a warning screen will open saying “Windows was not shut down normally”.
- Here, you have to select the “Start Windows Normally” dialog.
- This action should start Windows and your laptop should work appropriately.
If you come across any kind of difficulty while doing this, then you should seek immediate help from experts. They will definitely find out a way for you to get rid of this problem.
Related official Article – How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)